Free Sound Recorder is a simple, neat and lightweight application created to help you record the sounds from any sources connected to your computer. In other words, it lets you capture and record any sound that passes through your audio card, may it be from a connected microphone or other external sources, or even from the streams of online radio stations, played on your computer using any suitable application.
As its name suggests, this application is free. Unfortunately it also made me feel that the fact that it's free is in fact the price I had to pay for its lack of reliability and quality. There were errors when trying to access the options or the scheduler, the playback of the recordings showed that these weren't of good quality (hisses and brief silent interruptions could be heard), and I had to figure out myself that I had to enable the “Stereo Mix” recording device option for my Windows' settings, as the program's installer or homepage showed no information about this issue, and until performing this change, the program just wouldn't have started – returning an incomprehensible error instead. I guess, in the case of this app, the saying “you get what you pay for”, can be applied. At least it's really easy to use, lightweight, and it includes a player that lets you listen to the recordings.
To conclude, Free Sound Recorder needs serious improvements in order to be a reasonable application. In its current state, I simply cannot recommend it.
- Can capture any external or internal sound.
- Recording scheduling.
- Has an editor to enhance recorded and audio files
- Should make it clear that in order for the program to start and work, the "Stereo Mix" recording option should be enabled on computer with Windows 7 and above.
- Installer contains adware offers (RelevantKnowledge).
- Errors related to the system's date format were returned when trying to access the options or the scheduling feature.
- The quality of the output recordings is sometimes questionnable, to say the last.
- Supports only 3 output formats.
- The interface cannot be customized